Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Journal 7 Finding Articles in Periodical Indexes

1. My successful search statement used:  privacy and law* and U.S. and century

As I looked up the articles I chose each individual tab: "scholarly journals", "magazines", and "Newspapers".  This made it much easier to filter through the information I was seeking.

2. Popular Magazine:
Cullinan, K.. "The Privacy Act, in the beginning: freedom from government intrusion. " News
       Media and the Law  1 Apr. 2009: Platinum Periodicals, ProQuest. Web.  20 Jul. 2011.

With my original search statement I only got three articles. I refined my search statement to "law* and prvacy." I had a much better selection. I chose this article because as I scanned through the article I saw several dates that were referenced from the last century

3. Scholarly Journal:
Rosen, D., and A. Santesso. "Inviolate Personality and the Literary Roots of the Right to Privacy. " Law
      and Literature  23.1 (2011): 1-26. Research Library, ProQuest. Web.  20 Jul. 2011.

I chose this article because it makes several references to several privacy issues over the last 2 centuries and how "The right to privacy" came about.

4. Newspaper:
Mike McConnell.  "Law needs revision to remain effective. " Tri - City Herald  22  May
      2007,Washington State Newsstand, ProQuest. Web.  20 Jul. 2011.

I chose this article because again it makes reference to privacy issues over the years, starting in 1978 and what took place over the next 30 years.

5.  I liked the ease of being able to choose what type of periodical I was searching for.  As I stated in number  2, I had to change my search statement for finding a magazine. My original search statement was too narrow, so I eliminated  two words from it.  I also liked the feature "cite" and being able to choose which form I wanted the citation in.  I liked this much better than having to hand write it out like I did when I was first in college. Computers are wonderful tools.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Angela:

    Good work, I'm glad you were willing to be flexible to get the results you needed/wanted. You didn't indicate the clues you used to determine if your article was a scholarly research article, such as references, academic affiliation of the authors, an abstract describing the scope of the article...

    Thanks for your efforts,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete