Friday, July 8, 2011

Journal 4: Types of Information

1) To find out is a vegetarian diet is healthier than a meat-base diet I would use a medical journal because I think I would be able to find information about vegetarian and meat-based diets.

2) Target often forces musicians to alter lyrics in order to have their CD's sold in Target stores. Is this censorship? This one is hard, because I do have a strong opinion regarding this.  I think I would use an academic journal on law, because it would help me to understand censorship and the laws that govern it.

3) How much more can a college graduate expect to earn over someone with a high school diploma?  I would use a reference book with statistical data or an academic encyclopedia with information about the workforce. I hope a book with statistical data would give some type of graphic showing the difference between levels of eduction and income.  In the academic encyclopedia I would hope to find similar information or an overview.

4)  Should educators use commercial services to combat plagiarism?  This sounds more like a current event, so I would look it up in a popular magazine to see if this would lead me other resources.  IF that didn't work, I would ask a librarian to help me.

5) Is the current lack of sunspot activity affecting global warming?  I would use Academic Encyclopedias to get a background of sunspot activity and its affects.  I might also use Academic Journals to get some in-depth information.

Part 2:      My research questions

1) How have U.S. privacy laws change in the last century?
I would use Academic Journals to get an in-depth look at our privacy laws and I would also use a book since it asks about history also.

2)What are ways you can protect your identity in our ever changing world?
I would use popular magazines to begin since this seems to be a current event.  I would also use Academic Encyclopedias to help me get started.

3)  How has privacy evolved in Western culture?
I would use the Academic Encyclopedias to help me get an overview of this subject and hopefully give me a starting point.

If I got stuck on any of these, I am not opposed to asking for help.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Angela:

    Nice work. You seem to have a good sense of the resources you would use to start answering your questions. I might also suggest an academic/subject encyclopedia for the vegetarian diet/health question and possible for your #1 question about privacy changing in the last century, often times there is a chronology in the encyclopedias which is very helpful.

    Thanks for your efforts,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete